After a long day outside, there is nothing better then warming up with a nice cup of hot chocolate.
We put a spin on the traditional hot chocolate, and added salted caramel for an extra kick!
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
- 5 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup caramel candies, melted
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- caramels and chocolate shavings, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate over medium heat. Stir often to make sure it doesn't burn. If the chocolate seem like it might burn before it melts completely, add a splash of milk to help it along. Add the rest of the milk and whisk until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and whisk to combine.
- While whisking, slowly pour in the caramel and continue to stir until combined. Scrape the bottom as you stir to make sure no caramel has settled. Add the salt, to taste. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the hot chocolate into mugs, top with whipped cream, extra caramel candies and chocolate shavings.